A couple of weeks ago, I had the pleasure of attending International Fashion Encounter’s Fashion Show/SuperModel Canada Search contest (thanks Toronto Fashion Academy for hooking it up) and I figured why not share with you all the wisdom I’ve gained about fashion shows! So without further adieu here are some tips on what you should wear at a fashion show:
- Wear your the uncomfortable fashionable pair of shoes you own: Listen, you’re going to be sitting for 85% of the night, so might as well make use of THAT pair of heels you have a love/hate relationship with. Also, you don’t have to wear heels, you can wear boots, flats, sandals etc. Just don’t wear sneakers unless they’re like blinged out Yeezys, speaking of which…has Kanye put out blinged out Yeezys yet?
- Use a bold pop of colour so you stick out: Honestly, this can be the colour of your outfit, shoes, accessories and/or makeup. Just make sure it’s bold enough to stand out! I wore a bold magenta lip to offset my all black look (clearly I don’t have a soul). Also, I wore a tarnished gold jewelry to match the gold detailing on my ankle boots (see details matter because other fashionistas at this thing are doing it…and probably judging…okay maybe not…but you catch my drift).
- Carry the most expensive or expensive looking purse you own: I’m not telling you to go buy that Louis Vuitton AM you’ve been craving (or maybe I am) but this is the perfect time to whip out that purse you have hidden in its dust bag because you don’t want to ruin it (I carried my Marc Jacobs Crossbody). Or if you really want to be bold, you can carry that all-glitter clutch you bought because why not (just me?).
- Wear loads of blingy jewelry: Okay, maybe not loads but enough so you’ve frosted yourself (if you know what I’m referencing, tweet me…shameless promo). You want to be classy and subtle yet fashionable. One of the ladies from the Real Housewives of Toronto attended the show and she had probably one of the most beautiful blinged chokers I’ve ever seen!
- Be Unique..so…add your personality to your whole look: You don’t want to look like everyone else because you are NOT everyone else. You are you and make sure everyone around you is aware of all your awesomeness. One of the attendees wore a light up pocket square as a part of his all dark pant/suit. Can you say amazing?! There was also someone in all silver..and when I say all silver..he painted his face and dyed his hair silver…SLAY.
- You don’t need to go ALL out, this isn’t Prom: Okay, no one needs to see excessive body parts or over the top gowns…this is a CLASSY affair so keep it simple and keep it classy! Dress like you’re going to be photographed for a profile picture that’s going to be your picture for your whole life (does that even make sense? if it doesn’t I’m sorry..no I’m not. whatever).
- Go through your closet before you purchase anything for your #OOTN…: Honestly, majority of the reason why I attend any event that requires me to put in copious amounts of efforts is because of Instagram (what has my life come to). Yes, you want to look spiffy…but NO, you do not need to spend a ton. Last time I went to this very fashion show, I dug out my closet and found a dress I hadn’t worn with the tag still on it. I basically dressed it up to make it fashion worthy (cuz you know tip #5).
- …and if you do want to purchase an item for your #OOTN, look for sales: This year I did purchase a dress for this particular show but believe me, I’m a bargain hunter and was able to find my outfit for 65% of its original price (YUS). So if you do need to buy something…go shopping for sales…FYI: obvs this is not a last-minute thing.
- Make sure you have a phone charger handy: You’re going to be taking loads of pictures and updating your social media account all night long (again, what has my life really come to?) or you need an UBER…so make sure you’ve got a portable phone charger ready!
- Eat before you go or have snacks handy: Fashion shows DO not serve food…because…obviously no one wants to promote eating (okay I’m not throwing shade I promise but it’s probz because no one wants to smear their makeup with food…although I wouldn’t care if they serve me McNuggets). Make sure you eat before hand or make a mickydees run after because these shows go on for a while and you will get hungry. Also, don’t drink on an empty stomach…not the prettiest thing AND make sure you bring cash for the bar.
But most of all, HAVE LOADS OF FUN! I truly have a blast each time I go to IFE’s shows. They’re fun, exciting and you really get a taste of what the fashion world in Toronto is like!
Head to Instagram to see what I wore! Abril Cereva designed the dress on the model above and the picture is courtesy of Azmat’s Photography!